This is a Civil Defense Message for Tuesday, July 3 at 6:00 in the morning.
Hawaiian Volcano Observatory reports that Fissure 8 continues to be very active and is feeding a lava channel to the ocean at Kapoho. The flow is producing a broad ocean entry along the shoreline. Fissure 22 is also active and producing a short flow. Gas emissions from the fissure eruption and laze at the ocean entry continue to be very high. The National Weather Service reports trade winds will push vog to the south and west side of the island.
Highway 130 will re-open to all traffic beginning at 8:00 AM today.
- · Drivers are reminded to slow down and drive with caution over steel plates in the roadway
- · Kamaili Road will be open to residents only
- · Highway 137 will be open from Highway 130 north to Opihikao road
- · McKenzie State Recreation Area and the new lava flow areas remain closed
- · Vacation Rentals as well as all businesses in the Kalapana area can resume normal operations
There will be a community meeting this evening at 5:00 PM at the Pahoa High School cafeteria.
We are on watch 24-hours a day for your safety.
This is your Hawai‘i County Civil Defense Agency.