Hilo Medical Center has 14 patients in the hospital with COVID-19 as of Wednesday, Sept. 9, 4 of whom are in the ICU, 10 of whom are in the COVID Unit. The daily report also confirms that 11 deaths have occurred–10 of those in residents at the Yukio Okutsu State Veterans Home, and one patient not associated with the Veterans Home.
· HILO MEDICAL CENTER UPDATE (as of 2:30 pm on Wednesday, September 9, 2020)
o 14 total COVID-positive patients are hospitalized: 4 in ICU, 10 in COVID Unit
o 1 death to report today that occurred yesterday afternoon on Tuesday, September 8, 2020 related to COVID-19 with significant, underlying health issues. This patient was not associated with the Yukio Okutsu State Veterans Home
o 1 additional employee has tested positive. A total of 6 employees from various departments have tested positive. In each case, the employee was sent home to isolate, contact tracing and testing were conducted, and the employee is being monitored by Employee Health.
o Due to current positivity rates for Hawaii County of 4.1% based on August 28 through September 2 data, Center Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) requires long term care facilities to COVID-19 test all staff.
o Testing continues today for long term care staff in Hilo’s Extended Care Facility, Ka`u Hospital and Hale Ho`ola Hamakua.
§ NOTE: If community positivity rate is below 5%, staff are required to test monthly. If community positivity rate exceeds 5%, staff are required to test weekly.
· YUKIO OKUTSU STATE VETERANS HOME UPDATE (as of 2:30 pm on Wednesday, September 9, 2020)
o The following is today’s report by Avalon Healthcare, the managing company of the Yukio Okutsu State Veterans Home:
§ A total of 63 residents and 22 employees have tested positive for COVID-19
· 3 residents are hospitalized at Hilo Medical Center
· 36 total residents are cared for at the veterans home’s COVID designated area
· 14 residents and 2 employee have recovered
· 1 death to report today, that occurred late last night, Tuesday, September 8 related to COVID-19 with significant, underlying health issues.
o 10 total resident deaths related to COVID-19 have occurred. We offer our deepest sympathies to the families and loved ones.
· For additional information, go to: https://ahcupdates.info/hilo-covid19-update